July 17, 2010

Second first post

Hello!

My name is Adam and this is the first post on my new blog about being gay and Christian, how that plays out and has played out in my own life, my experiences with other Christians and GLBT people, and how to help bridge the divide between these two communities. Obviously, I have quite a bit I can write about, and this is hopefully the first post in a long series. This first post will be about why I want to write about this issue and why I feel it's important . . .

* * * * *
I’m someone who really hates controversy. Conflict, heated arguments, very awkward situations - they all drive me crazy and I avoid them like the plague. So, when it comes to an issue like homosexuality and the Church, it’s not something I’m inclined to readily talk about. In fact, even though this issue has been one of the defining elements of the past six years of my life, it’s only been until recently that I’ve talked about it with other people.

I used to think that society was too focused on this polarizing issue and that bringing it up any more would be a negative thing. However, I’ve since come to realize that it's not so much the issue that is the most polarizing, but more the way people on both sides of this issue are treating each other that is the real problem. Very seldom do people hear the voices of those in the middle of this crossfire, those who are Christian and gay. I hope that by writing about this issue as a gay Christian, I can bring a new perspective and opinions that people may not have heard before.

Most importantly, I want to reduce the immense amount of negativity and pain surrounding this subject. Not only is the subject of homosexuality threatening the unity of numerous Christian denominations and splitting churches, all this negativity has made life hell for many gay people. This is especially true for those in the Church, who are already struggling to reconcile their orientation with their faith and who often feel alone and with nowhere to turn in their churches, leading many to deep depression or worse.

I hope that by writing about this issue and my own thoughts and experiences, I’ll help change the perception of this issue as a battleground of the “Culture Wars” to an issue of profound importance to many struggling people. I hope people will realize that any talk about this subject needs to be done with the sensitivity, respect, and compassion it deserves.

- Adam

2 comments:

  1. Hi Adam,

    I very much look forward to reading your blog. As one who grew up in the Church, was rejected by said Church, forced into reparative therapy, and then left the Church, I also recognize that there does need to be middle ground on the issue of Faith and the LGBT community. As one who has embraced Conservative Judaism, yet still has ties to Christianity, I also feel a calling to discuss this necessary interplay between the two groups. Good luck with future posts!!

    God Bless,
    Kyle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kyle :) And thanks for being my first follower and commenter! :)

    ReplyDelete